Rather than paying for coaches to take your children to a Victorian classroom, why not turn YOUR classroom in to a Victorian classroom! Have the Victorian Schoolmaster or Schoolmistress bring his/her slate boards and slate pencils, his/her cane, his/her dunces hat, his/her finger stocks and the posture-correcting back board! They will use the tools of their trade to make sure those little children do as they are told and listen intently to their teachings!
Throughout the day, the children will take part in the following activities:
- Introduction: The workshop leader will give an overview of Victorian Britain and of the British Empire to the children in the form of a presentation/assembly.
- The Victorian Classroom: The workshop leader will take a class and show the children what school was like in Victorian times. Strict discipline and good listening skills are essential to avoid being punished!
- Life in Victorian Britain: Rather than concentrate on the obvious person associated with the Victorian Era, this session looks at the average Victorian. The workshop leader presents to the children an informative look at how people lived and worked in these times.
- Victorian Choices: Using an interactive Powerpoint, the children step back in time and take up the role of a member of parliament (MP). The MPs will vote on issues of the time, trying to do what is right for the different social classes.
- Toys of the Victorian Age: In this session, children will investigate a range of toys from the time - this might have to involve actually playing with them? Right?
- Archaeological Dig: In soil trays, the children will sift through the dirt to find real artefacts. Can they identify: 1. What they are? 2. What they were used for? 3. If they're Victorian?
- Final Review: After a fun-filled, hands-on day, the children will get to a chance to relax and reflect on the day. What do they think about Victorian times? Would they have wanted to live back then? How would their life be different from what it is like today?
Download the example schedule for how many children you need the workshop for to see how the day will run!
Workshop Leaders: Danny, Vicki, Lee
Workshop leader: Penny.